EAST GRANBY CHRONOLOGY
For a definitive study on the history of East Granby, please refer to the book, East Granby the Evolution of a Connecticut Town, by Mary Jane Springman and Betty Finnell Guinan, available at the East Granby Library.
From the settling of Simsbury to the separation of Granby, 1633–1785
1633: Windsor founded thirteen years after landing of Pilgrims at Plymouth.
c. 1645: Tar works established on the Farmington River in present North Bloomfield by John Griffin and Michael Humphrey.
c. 1664: John Griffin and family settled west of the Mountain on land within the present East Granby.
1670: Simsbury incorporated.
16751676: King Philip's War.
c. 1705: Copper discovered at Copper Hill.
1707: First settlement east of the Mountain in Turkey Hills.
c. 1725: First steel made in the English colonies produced by Samuel Higley.
1735: First copper coins made in the English colonies produced by Samuel Higley.
1736: Turkey Hills Ecclesiastical society established.
1738: First Congregational meetinghouse erected.
1773: Newgate Prison established.
1775-1783: Revolutionary War.
From the incorporation of Granby to the separation of East Granby, 1786–1858
1786: Granby Incorporated.
1794: Reverend Whitfield Cowles ordained Congregational minister at Turkey Hills.
c. 1800: First cigars made in Connecticut.
1800: Granby Turnpike chartered.
1816 :Copper Hill Methodist - Episcopal Church established.
1820: East Granby Post Office established.
1822: Farmington Canal chartered.
1827:Newgate Prison closed.
1830: Phoenix Mining Company chartered.
1830: Present Congregational meetinghouse erected.
1839: Present Methodist - Episcopal meetinghouse erected.
1843: German silver flatware silver-plated at Spoonville.
1850: Canal Railroad opened to Granby.
The East Granby Years, 1858–
1858: East Granby incorporated.
1861–1865: Civil War.
1882: East Granby Creamery opened.
1899: Hydroelectric plant on the Farmington River began operation.
c. 1900: First shade grown tobacco raised.
c. 1900: Roads first paved.
1902: Branch of Central New England Railway opened through East Granby Center.
1904: First telephones installed.
c. 1908: First automobile purchased by East Granby resident.
c. 1910: First electric lights installed.
1914-1918: World War I.
1922: East Granby Library Association organized.
1929: Stock market crash presages Great Depression.
1930: East Granby Volunteer Fire Department founded.
1939–1945: World War II.
1951: Housing boom in East Granby started.
1968: Newgate Prison returned to state control.